Many things worth blogging about are happening lately! In fact, so many things that there is not enough time to blog about them. Ah, where to begin!
We now know that our Proof of Concept is k00l and Ebf has started the high-performance C implementation.
Did you know you’re missing out on cool kernel features? Well, yes you are. Here are some of them:
- grsecurity : Better security in linux! Fixes thousands of attack vectors for desktops and servers alike
- compcache: compressed memory swap might sound counter intuitive, but memory is lightning fast compared to disk, and you can cram more apps into compressed memory!
- nilfs: Every wished you hadn’t deleted that file 5 seconds ago? Or wasted an hour waiting for a fsck? Log structured file systems scream write performance. And NILFS aids in data recovery too, as it’ll take automatic snapshots of your data every synchronous write. Very sweet.
- reiser4: Don’t get me started. This is still not reached mainline. Hans be damned. However, reiser4 is still the fastest file system around.
- ++++ low-latency, preemptible, tickless system, loads of hardware support and lots more!
Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list :
deb http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~kwysoc/debian/binary ./
then install the package:
# add the archive key: gpg --recv-key 089ac586 && gpg --armor --export 089ac586 | sudo apt-key add - # update package database: sudo apt-get update # install the kernel package sudo apt-get install linux-image-184.108.40.206-lied-grsec-dirty # check grub or lilo and then reboot into the kernel!
amd64 binaries are coming as soon as I get a chance to compile them. For now grab the karmic git, the patchset and .config and roll your own :-)
Bifrost is coming along, and might be close to a release soon, and
Multiframe needs a new client release (which I am w0rking on)
oh and I’ve made an
auto-migrate from ISC dhcpd to dnsmasq by script
Be mindful that it is best for those with a lot of host definitions, and does not support all the ISC syntax out there.
The script is interesting because it consicely illustrates how to make a simple but powerful parser with the minimal amount of lines (and fuss) using the AND-OR Waterfall method.Honk and Drop me a comment if you like / hate / fake it~!